The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB) is the most prestigious National Professional Organization of the country.
It is registered under the Societies Registration Act of the country. IEB includes all disciplines of engineering. Currently, it has in its roll more than 41,545 engineers with about 30% in the category of Fellows, 60% Members and the rest as Associate Members.
In addition there are a good number of Student Members. Since its establishments, IEB has been promoting and disseminating knowledge and practice of engineering and science.
On of the major goal of IEB is to ensure the professional excellence and continuous professional development of the engineers in the country. It has also been working relentlessly to establish close and co-operation with the other professional bodies both in Bangladesh and outside the country.
• Promote and advance the science, practice and business of engineering in all its branches throughout Bangladesh and abroad.
• Promote efficiency in the engineering practices and profession.
• Regulate the professional activities and assist in maintaining high standards in the general conduct of its members.
• Lay down professional code of ethics and to make it mandatory for its members to abide by the same in their professional conduct.
• Help in the acquisition and interchange of technical knowledge among its members.
• Promote the professional interests and social welfare of its members.
• Encourage original research in engineering and conservation and economic utilisation of the country's materials and resources.
• Foster co-ordination with similar institutions in other countries and engineering universities, institutions and colleges in Bangladesh and in other countries, for mutual benefits in furthering the objects of the Institution.
• Diffuse among its members information on all matters affecting engineering and to encourage, assist and extend knowledge and information.