Dhaka Medical College is a medical college and hospital located in Dhaka, the capital city of Bangladesh. It is situated in the Bakshibazar area of the city, close to the University of Dhaka and the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology.
After beginning the journey in 10th July 1946, Dhaka Medical College established a new era in the history of medical education in Bangladesh. The original idea for the establishment of a medical college in Dhaka was placed to the British Government in 1939 but shelved because of World War II. After the war, a committee was formed in 1945 and on recommendation of the committee; Dhaka Medical College started its glorious journey on July 10, 1946.
The college did not have a building of its own at the beginning; the present hospital building was built before the partition of Bengal in 1905. It was used as the secretariat of newly formed provinces of East Bengal and Assam. In 1921, it was turned into a part of University of Dhaka. During World War II the medical centre building became an American armed forces hospital. The Americans vacated the building at the end of the war and finally, the journey started on 1946. Major W. J. Virgin, the head of the committee formed to establish the Dhaka Medical College, was the first principal.